You’ll want to pick the right lawyer after you’ve been injured in a serious car accident. Most people stunned by the destruction that a major accident can cause are not always thinking of the finer points of the legal process. As Munster auto accident lawyers, we’ve compiled a list of questions to ask at the beginning of your accident case.
Questions to Ask a Munster Auto Accident Lawyer
- What kind of cases do you handle? Mostly accidents?
- How long does it take you to return calls in general?
- How much money do you think I can get for my settlement?
- Will you help with all of the necessary paperwork?
- How long will it take to get my settlement?
- Is my case strong? Will I win?
- Will you personally handle my case?
- Which losses related to this accident can I be compensated for?
- What do I tell the insurance company if they call me?
- Do you think I’ll have to testify?
- After we reach a settlement agreement, how long until I get the money?
- What are your fees? How do I pay you?
- How many years have you been working on car accident cases?
- Do you belong to any professional associations? Have you won any professional awards?
- How often will you update me?
- Do you think my case will go to trial?
- What are the chances of a successful outcome?
- How many cases like mine have you won? What are the average settlements?
- What information do you need from me? How can I help?
- Should I speak with the insurance companies on my own?
How to Research a Lawyer Before You Hire
In addition to grilling potential lawyers with the laundry list of questions above, you should also thoroughly review their online reviews. You can also ask for references from previous clients. The local bar association also keeps records of disciplinary actions that any of their members are having or have had. This is another important place to check out a lawyer before you hire. Additionally, you can also just google the law firm’s name as well as your individual attorney’s name. This should show you what noteworthy cases he or she may have been involved with, as well as things like social media.
Common Mistakes When Hiring a Lawyer
Here are a few things to avoid when you are in the process of hiring an auto accident lawyer. First of all, do not hire the first lawyer who returns your call just because you’re eager to get started. Be patient. The best lawyers are usually the busier ones—keep that in mind. Another mistake is paying for an initial consultation. A lawyer who thinks you have a strong case will be more than happy to meet with you for free. Finally, another mistake people make when hiring an auto accident attorney is not reading the contract thoroughly. Lawyers invented “fine print,” so read before you sign.
Munster Auto Accident Lawyers Ready to Help
If you’ve been in an auto accident, you deserve the maximum settlement possible. Contact Tanzillo Stassin & Babcock today to schedule your free consultation. We’ll be more than happy to answer each and every one of your questions.