Car Accident Attorneys Northwest Indiana
Car accidents happen, and they are often fatal. Motorists are responsible for safely adhering to the rules of the road, and when they fail to do so, they can leave others seriously injured – or worse. If you’ve been injured by another driver’s negligence, an experienced car accident attorney in Northwest Indiana can help.
Car Accidents: The Stats
The Insurance Information Institute (III) shares a list of driver behaviors that are most closely associated with fatal car accidents (culled from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration). These include:
- Excess Speed – Speeding tops the list of dangerous driving practices. Almost 17 percent of the 8,596 fatal car crashes in 2018 involved a driver who was speeding. Speed in this context is relative and refers to either adhering to the posted speed limit (if driving conditions are ideal) or driving at a speed that safely accommodates the condition of the road and/or the deleterious effects that inclement weather has on the road.
- Impairment – The danger associated with the negative effects that alcohol and drugs have on motorists is second only to excess speed. Choosing to get behind the wheel while impaired can be a deadly choice, and it led to 5,175 deaths in 2018 (about 10 percent of all traffic fatalities).
- Failure to Stay in One’s Lane and Failure to Yield the Right-of-Way – Failing to stay in one’s lane and failing to yield the right-of-way ranked third and fourth for dangerous driving practices. In fact, about 14 percent of all traffic fatalities in 2018, which translates to approximately 7,500 deaths, involved one of these actions.
- Distraction – Distraction is another major player, and it ranks fifth in this deadly lineup. Distraction accounted for about 5 percent (2,688) of the fatal car crashes in 2018.
When motorists fail to focus their attention squarely on driving safely, they make our roads less safe for all who travel on them, and while there are plenty of distractions to go around, engaging with one’s smartphone is by far the most prevalent and most dangerous distraction.
If you’ve been injured by a negligent driver, the damages you face are likely to be considerable and can include:
- Medical Costs – The medical expense associated with a serious injury can be overwhelming, and they often begin with emergency care and move forward to hospitalization, surgery, and beyond.
- Lost Earnings – If you suffer a serious injury, you’ll likely also experience a serious downturn in your earnings.
- Pain and Suffering – The emotional and physical pain and suffering can be even more difficult to endure than the other damages you face.
Don’t Wait to Consult with an Experienced Car Accident Attorney in Northwest Indiana
If you have been injured by another driver’s negligence, the resourceful car accident attorneys at Tanzillo Stassin & Babcock, P.C., in Northwest Indiana are committed to skillfully guiding your claim toward its most favorable outcome. We’re here to help, so please don’t wait to contact us for more information today.