E-mail MeRonald F. Layer
Ronald F. Layer was born in 1943. He is a lifelong resident of Lake County. Ron is married, lives in Munster, Indiana and has two grown daughters that reside in California. He attended Hobart High School where he was the quarterback of the 1960-1961 football team. He received an appointment to West Point and graduated from the United States Military Academy at West Point in 1965 and went into the Army as a second Lieutenant, was an Airborn Ranger serving in the Army in Viet Nam. Ron was awarded two Army Commendation medals, three Bronze Stars, and a Purple Heart for wounds received. He went to Law School at Indiana University and graduated in 1972 with a Juris Doctorate Degree. He has been practicing in Lake County, Indiana since that time.
Ron is a trial lawyer engaging in his first jury trial within the first year of his practice. Ron's practice concentrates in personal injury, medical malpractice, wrongful death and workman's compensation. Ron is also a certified civil mediator.
Ron has been actively involved in the legal community and has been elected three times by Lake County lawyers to the Lake County Judicial Nomination Commission which selects civil and criminal judges to be appointed by the Governor. Ron also serves on the Board of Directors of the Indiana Trial Lawyers Association.
Ron has also been involved in the community and he was the Chairman of the Board of Directors of the Viet Nam Veterans Leadership Program and has served on Rep. Peter Visclosky's Service Academy Selection Committee since 1986.
Areas of Practice
- Personal Injury
- Medical Malpractice
- Wrongful Death
- Workers' Compensation Law
Certified Legal Specialties
- Certified Civil Law Mediator
- Indiana, 1972
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Indiana, 1972
- U.S. Court of Appeals 7th Circuit, 1974
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1978
- Indiana University School of Law, Bloomington, Indiana
- J.D. - 1972
- United States Military Academy at West Point, West Point, New York
- B.S. - 1965
- Major: Civil Engineering
Honors and Awards
- Army Commendation Medals
- Three Bronze Stars
- A Purple Heart for Wounds
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Lake County Judicial Nomination Commission, Secretary
- Indiana Trial Lawyers Association, Board of Directors
Past Employment Positions
- Germany, Company Commander, 1966 - 1968
- Viet Nam, 1968 - 1969
- United States Army, Captain, 1970